8 Window Terms You Need to Know

If you’re thinking of replacing or installing a new window, it’s a good idea to do your research. There are lots of different frame materials and window styles out there, and you wouldn’t want to miss out on the perfect window because you didn’t know about it.

But researching windows can sometimes be confusing. Unless you have specialised knowledge, you may come across lots of terms and phrases that you don’t understand. So to help you out, we’ve come up with 8 window terms and definitions that you need to know.

1. uPVC

uPVC stands for unplasticised polyvinyl chloride. It’s a type of plastic that’s known for being strong, lightweight and long-lasting. uPVC is often used for window frames, conservatory frames and plumbing.

2. Trickle vent

A trickle vent is a small opening in a window that allows air through. They’re used to ventilate buildings without allowing heat to escape. Trickle vents help to reduce excess moisture, which can lead to damp and mould.

3. Casement window

A casement window is a style of window. It has hinges down one side, rather than at the top or the bottom. Casement windows can either come in singles or in pairs. Pairs share a frame, and are hinged on the sides furthest away from each other.

4. Tilt and turn window

A tilt and turn window is another style of window. It hinges at two points, the bottom and the side. So it can be opened in two ways: tilting, where it hinges at the bottom and opens a small amount at the top, or turning, where the window hinges at the side and opens inwards.

5. Awning window

An awning window is also a style of window. It hinges at the top and opens outwards. Awning windows are often relatively small and installed above casement windows.

6. Mullion

A mullion is a vertical bar, usually made out of masonry or timber. It separates opening and fixed windows.

7. Gasket

A gasket is a piece of black rubber that runs around a pane of glass in a window. It acts as a weatherproof join between the glass and the frame.

8. Spacer

A spacer is the piece of material that separates the two sheets of glass that make up a double glazed window. Spacers are typically made of non-insulating material, like plastic, to stop heat travelling through the window and escaping outside.

So now you should know and understand a few more window terms and be able to research more confidently. To learn more about your window options, take a look at our information on uPVC, wooden and aluminium frames. Or to find a professional to source and fit your windows, fill in our online form. We’ll put you in contact with up to 4 trusted contractors in your local area.

Evy Coe

Evy works for Quotatis as a Content Marketing Executive. She loves to write about interior design and help homeowners with their DIY projects.